Go TO Content



<Martial Temple>

Located on No. 87, Wumiao Road, Yanshuei District, the Martial Temple is said to be built during the Emperor Kangsi’s rule in 1715 in Cing Dynasty. It is one of the oldest temples in the area, second only to Hubi Temple. The tree patron deities in the Martial Temple are Emperor Wunheng (a.k.a. Guan Di or Emperor Guan), Emperor Guan Ping (son of Guan Di), and General Jhou Cang (Guan Di’s right-hand man). Though Martial Temple is just a local temple, its influence reaches followers from the whole town. Each year on the fifteenth day of the first lunar month, the famous Beehive Firecrackers Festival draws hundreds of thousands of visitors, and therefore, the influences of Martial Temple are obvious. These celebrations are comparable to those of the Hubi Temple.

Martial Temple Emperor Wunheng
Martial Temple Emperor Wunheng





<Hubi Temple>

Also known as Mazu (Goddess of Sea) Temple, the Hubi Temple is situated on No. 140, Jhongjheng Road, Yanshuei District. The construction of the temple can be traced back to Tianci period in the Ming Dynasty in 1623. Yanshuei was a commercial port back then. In this time, a local sugar business named Chongsing Shop transported a statue of Mazu from Fujian Province, China to Yanshuei and so established the Hubi Temple. This temple is one of the three oldest temples dedicated to Mazu in Taiwan. This time-honoured Hubi Temple influences not only Yanshuei District, but also neighbouring towns, and is hence considered the most influential temple in the area.


Hubi Temple
Hubi Temple Mazu (Goddess of Sea)





<Ghara Temple> (or Cielan Temple based on phonetic translation from Chinese words)

Located on No. 5, Chaocin Road, Yanshuei District, Ghara Temple is said to have been built approximately in the reign of Emperor Cianlong in the Cing Dynasty, and has 200 years of history. The patron deities of this local temple are Ghara Bodhisattva and Lord of Gods. The annual celebrations and ceremonies take place on the first day of the fourth and tenth months of the lunar year. The main structure of Ghara Temple was unfortunately shattered by the bombing of allies during the Japanese rule when wars in Asia became very intense. The present structure was rebuilt by followers in 1957.


Ghara Temple Ghara Temple Emperor Cianling
Ghara Temple Ghara Temple Emperor Cianlong






<Dajhong Temple>

Standing on No. 7, Wumiao Road, Yanshuei District, the Dajhong Temple was established during the Kangsi period in 1675. The temple is also named Jyupo Pavilion (literal translation of water converging with a pavilion) since it used to be a beautiful pavilion facing the commercial port. In the late Ming Dynasty when Taiwan was under the rule of General Jheng Chengkong (a.k.a. Koxinga), a general who was responsible for developing this land built the pavilion at the exact place where the temple stands today. The pavilion became a thriving and lively place. As a result of all the hustle and bustle, it was called Yanshuei Port, and hence its poetic name. The deity that the temple worships is Lord Leifu, who protects the neighbourhoods in the vicinity. Visitors can get a glimpse of the prosperity of Yanshuei from the old days.


Lord Leifu Lord Leifu

Jyupo Pavilion

 Lord Leifu